Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Feeling Positive

I have a bit of an update since my last post and of course it is very positive or at least I can say I'm feeling hopeful. First thing is I started going to a chiropractor ( free care from car accident ) and on my first visit we discussed my infertility issues and medication I'm on and my chiropractor almost jumped out of his chair at the chance to talk to me about it. He has had a lot of patients that were struggling to get pregnant and after seeing him they got pregnant. Mind you it didn't happen right off the bat but after lots of treatment and adjustments it finally happened. I went for an X ray (part of what they do before they start working on you), when we reviewed my X ray I could see right away that my lower spine was tilted to the left and of course my chiropractor told me that could be a huge part of my infertility because my spine tilted could slow down blood flow to that area. I also have some neck issues which could be carrying a lot of stress and one big thing that doesn't help fertility is STRESS! I think at this point the chiropractor has been extremely helpful even if it doesn't do much for my fertility at least helping with my back issues and the work that I do.
Last Thursday I had my first appointment at Mount Sinai Fertility center in Toronto. Myself, Jamie and his mom made the trip to Toronto for this visit. It was a very nerve racking visit as it was unknown as to what would happen. I think we were all on edge about what was going to happen and with driving downtown Toronto just didn't help. We sat in the waiting room which was quite full so that was reassuring knowing that a lot of people have made this trip too! We were called into this tiny office where my doctors intern interviewed us about our current health and reviewing previous tests that both Jamie and I have done with our previous baby doctor. It was nice talking to this intern because he actually talked about our blood work and what everything means. Our previous doctor just basically said all is good and that was it. The intern said all my blood work was good, only issue was my thyroid levels were a bit low but it is something that tends to fluctuate. He discussed Jamie's semen test and that was all good! He felt our big issue was timing and smoking. Because I'm 27 he said everything seems to look really good but to be on the safe side they want to do some testing just to be able to cross that off and not waste time. We were then told that we both had to go for blood work and that on my cycle day 3 I would have to come back for a Ovarian Reserve Test and a Sonohysterogram anywhere between cycle day 5-10...... oh yeah and MORE blood work! After our appointment we raced to the lab and got our blood work done, 6 tubes of blood from me and 4 from Jamie. 
Today (April 1st! yahoo) Jamie and myself got up at 5:00 am and made another drive to Toronto for my Ovarian Reserve Test. Basically what they do is an internal ultra sound and they look to see how thick my uterus lining is and how many resting follicles I have. As soon as I walked in I was sent in to get more blood work done and of course by a very crusty Russian lady who mumbled random stuff. Afterwards I was sent to a change room where you are gowned up for testing. It was a pretty amazing room, I wish I took a picture because they have this huge wall where people write why they want to be a mom. I would of wrote why I want to be a mom but all my reasons are the same as everyone else. So I gowned up and sat in a waiting room full of woman. We were then all sent to another waiting area where one at a time we all went in for our test. My turn came along and we went in (Jamie and myself) it was pretty tight squeeze in this room! There was 3 women in the room one was handling the ultra sound, one writing notes and another observing. It was pretty awkward I felt lol anyways I apparently have 15 follicles on the right and 13 on the left, lining was thin but nurse asked how old I was and once she heard I was 27 she stated "well that's why everything looks really healthy". I'm really feeling positive after both appointments especially if age really is a factor! All I have left is the rest of my blood work and my Sono test to do. The Sono test checks to see if there is a blockage in my tubes, its a 15 min procedure but apparently is kinda painful boo! I know though this is all going to worth it in the long run and if there isn't any problems they can help us nail down our timing!! 
I also have more big news! I QUIT SMOKING!! I have officially gone 4 days without smoking. I thought it would be much more challenging but I keep reminding myself that its all for good reason. I know I would have to quit smoking once I got pregnant so figure I may as well do it now also because my doctor had recommended that! So 4 days no smoking and feeling good :)
Positive vibes and baby dust!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Sounds like quite an experience you are getting! Some details as your sister are a little too much for me! LMAO ;)
    Congrats to NO smoking - you will feel so much better as time goes on...
    Sending positive vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete